Monday, June 25, 2012

The triumph of Paulo Avelino

Even before Paulo Avelino bagged the Best Actor trophy for his performance in Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa, many people thought that he was a shoo-in for the coveted award given out recently by the (35th) Gawad Urian, the local film award for excellence and creativity by the Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino (MPP). Before the Urian, he already won Best Supporting Actor for the same movie from PASADO, given by members of the academe.
For a young actor who used to have a goody-goody image, it was quite daring for Paulo to play a dance student who’s the secret love of a fellow student played by Rocco Nacino who, like Paulo, was discovered by the GMA talent search StarStruck (fourth edition won by Aljur Abrenica).
Written and directed by Alvin Yapan (who won Best Screenplay and Best Direction), Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa (Best Film) is a lyrical story woven around the poetry of some of the country’s respected women poets, eloquently told in intricate dance steps. Paulo and Rocco play dance students, with Jean Garcia (Best Supporting Actress) as their teacher.
Surprisingly, Paulo beat by one vote another relatively new actor…Alfred Vargas for Teoriya, also an indie…and not the heavyweights that included Tirso Cruz III (Bisperas), and Ronnie Lazaro and Raymond Bagatsing (Boundary). Other nominees in Alfred and Paulo’s level were TJ Trinidad (Deadline), Martin Escudero (Zombadings), JM de Guzman and Kean Cipriano (Ang Babae sa Septic Tank), and newcomers Bong Cabrera (Sa Ilalim ng Tulay) and Jess Mendoza (The Natural Phenomenon of Madness).
The maturing process of Paulo actually began when his manager, Leo Dominguez, convinced him to pose in his underwear for the Bench billboards, a sign that Paulo was saying goodbye to his “clean” image and saying hello to a serious one, something edgy very evident in his head-turning as the “bad guy” Nathan in the top-rating ABS-CBN teleserye Walang Hanggan. Good move, indeed!
Half-Igorot and half-Waray, Paulo (a Taurian, born on May 13, 1988) comes from the prominent Avelino political clan in Samar. His father, Roberto Avelino, hails from Calbayog, Western Samar, and his mother, Jennylyn Lingbanan, from the Mountain Province. Paulo, second in a brood of four, was born and raised in Baguio where he was schooled.    
Who did you think was your closest rival for the award?
“I can’t really say. I felt that all of those nominated were deserving. Iba kasi kapag Urian, eh. ‘Yung pagsusuri nila sa sining ng pag-arte at naiiba. They really take a deep look at your performance, so just being a nominee is already a big honor.”
When you were shooting Sayaw, did you feel that you would be nominated?
“No, I did not. I was just excited that I was doing a challenging role — you know, ‘yung may nagtutula and then I would interpret the poem by dancing. It was a challenge for me to dance. The movie’s title says it all — dalawa talaga ang kaliwang paa ko. Hehehehe! Direk Alvin told me to underact.
But you were convincing in the movie’s dance sequences.
“Thanks to Ely Jacinto, my dance instructor.”
There are scenes where your face and that of Rocco are touching each other, making the viewers conclude that you are lovers.
“Actually, those scenes are open to different interpretations. It depends on how every viewer looks at it. If the viewers believe that it’s just friendship between the two characters, so be it. If they believe that it’s love between the two characters, so be it.”
Paulo won his second Best Actor award, this time from Gawad Urian, for his performance in Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa (above, with co-star Rocco Nacino), an indie named Best Film written and directed by Alvin Yapan who won Best Screenplay and Best Direction.
How did you internalize the role, especially in your intimate scenes with Rocco?
“The most challenging part was when they told me to be just natural, dapat daw very raw ang dating. ‘Yon ang gusto nila. Nagawa ko naman. What’s even more difficult ay ‘yung pagtula. I realized that it was not just saying the lines, that it was not just how you read them but how you convey the right emotions.”
How long did you shoot the movie?
“Only six days. I don’t think it matters how long it takes you to shoot a movie but how well you do it.”
You really impressed people with your, shall we call it, “derring-do” as an actor. How much more daring, sexier or bolder can you get?
“I don’t really want to categorize it as ‘sexy,’ ‘bold’ or ‘daring.’ If the role demands for it and the scene really calls for it, then I will do it. Wala namang problema sa akin. Yes, I am willing to show more than what I did in Sayaw kung kinakailangan.”
You mean you would dare do frontal nudity?
(Laughs) “Not really.”
What if the role is good, the story is good and the director is as good as Alvin Yapan, would you dare do a bed scene with another guy?
“Yes, I will, I would. Basta artistic ang paggawa, basta ikagaganda ng pelikula. I don’t see anything wrong or anything bad about it. Besides, it would be a plus factor for me. So walang problema sa akin.”
Asked if he would go more daring, sexier and bolder than Sayaw, Paulo (above, also as Bench model; and left, as one of the Cosmo hot bachelors) said, ‘Why not, if the story is good, if the role is good and if the director is good... para sa ikagaganda ng pelikula. It would even be a plus factor for me.’
If ever, who would you choose as bed partner?
“Girl or boy?”
Hmmm, boy.
(Laughs) “Any will do! Hindi ko masabi.”
You are so good in Walang Hanggan. I really like the scene where you beat up Julia Montes (as his battered wife). Galit na galit ka d’un. In real life, parang hindi ka marunong magalit, ah, cool ka lang. What motivates you in scenes that call for you to lose your temper?
“You know, when I go to the set, I’m not myself anymore; I’m already my character. I try to look at things the way I imagine my character does. Pinapasok ko na ang sarili ko sa character ko even before the cameras start grinding.”
According to showbiz-watchers, you are the next VIA (Very Important Actor). Mas natsa-challenge ka ba niyan?
“I don’t want to put it in my head. I just want to do better with every performance. Ako kasi, I always give my all to every role that I get. It gives me a feeling of fulfillment if I’m sure that I do my best, the audience is convinced kaya hindi ako mapapahiya sa ginagawa ko.”
Where do you draw your inspiration from…maybe from some painful experience like having been heart-broken?
“I haven’t had much painful experiences but, yes, na-heart-broken na rin naman ako. But when it comes to affairs of the heart, hindi ko masyadong dinidibdib, I don’t take things seriously, mabilis ako makalimot sa mga pangyayaring hindi na dapat maalala.”
Before StarStruck, what were you doing?
aulo was recently named brand ambassador of Gran Matador Light of Ginebra San Miguel, Inc. He appears in the new Gran Matador Light TV commercial with model Petra Dvorakova and Kenyo frontman McCoy Fundales, whose group was also behind the jingle Gaan na Gusto Ko. — Photo by VER PAULINO
“I was doing commercial advertisements. I was taking up a course in Entrepreneurial Management (at St. Louis University) because I wanted to put up my own business but I quit on my first year.”
Did you, like what some actors claim, get into showbiz by accident?
“Parang ganoon na nga…napilit lang. Many of my friends who were also doing commercials were auditioning, so my agent convinced me to do so, too. So, hayun…”
Who are the actors that you look, up to as role models?
“All foreign. Sina Al Pacino, Edward Norton at Robert DeNiro.”
Any role that you think could equal, or even surpass, what you did in Sayaw?
“Maybe like the one played by Al Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon, Robert DeNiro’s roles in Raging Bull and Taxi Driver, and Edward Norton’s role in Fight Club. Roles that are different from the real me.”
How do you handle your newly-found success?
“As I said, I don’t let it go to my head. At the end of the day, I don’t reach a point where I would say na nagagalingan ako sa sarili ko. I always remind myself that I can do better.”
 



No comments:

Post a Comment