Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Zsa Zsa Padilla hopes to be a cancer survivor

After surviving the death of long-time partner Dolphy, Zsa Zsa Padilla is optimistic about overcoming a new challenge : kidney cancer.

“I’m happy people are praying for me. I really need it. When I get home, I no longer want to say I have cancer. After surgery, I want to be able to say ‘I’m a cancer survivor,’” Zsa Zsa, who is in the Los Angeles, told TV Patrol on Sunday, August 20.

In a text message to Kris Aquino, which the “Kris TV”  host read in her show,  Zsa Zsa revealed how she found out about her stage 1 kidney cancer.

First check-up

“Actually, first check-up pa lang when they saw my old films from Manila, Dr. Frock (Dr. Larry Froch, from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California)  told me it’s malignant. I had blood works and a CT scan yesterday with and without the dye and it still showed the same thing. Almost three cm tumor. He wants to take it out. After surgery, I was told I wouldn’t need anything else, no chemo (therapy) or radiation since Stage 1 pa lang. Thank God naagapan.”

Zsa Zsa will undergo laparoscopic surgery at Cedar Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles on August 27 to take out the cancerous growth.  She added that this will speed up her recovery.

“Namatayan ka ng asawa, may cancer ka ngayon, it could happen to anyone. I’m just really thankful na naagapan,” she further told TV Patrol.
Zsa Zsa explained to Kris what the next steps will be.

“After six months, follow up, unless pathologist says otherwise—meaning if it isn’t Stage 1 after biopsy. Then every year check-up na ako. What I have is T1A, it’s a low form of Stage 1 cancer unless the pathologist says
otherwise after surgery.”

Symptoms
The singer-actress shared to Kris the symptoms that made her (Zsa Zsa) go to the doctor.

“Before this, I noticed I have been sleeping very little lately. Not naman jetlag but four to six hours of sleep! I went to the same urologist who performed Lithotripsy on Dolphy. I have trust and faith in him because Dolphy was his patient when he was still practicing in UCLA until the time he moved to Cedar Sinai.”

She worries for youngest daughter Zia Quizon, since both sides of her family have a history of cancer.  But Zsa Zsa is confident Zia is as strong as she is.

“There’s a test pala if you get it. The test is called Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers. Zia is strong like me. She doesn’t cry. She said she still feels kinda numb because of her Papa’s death so she thinks it came at a right time pa rin,” Zsa Zsa said.

Fellow stars’ encouragement

Zsa Zsa’s situation drew concern among many Filipinos and fellow celebrities. And she feels grateful and blessed that many are wishing for her recovery.

“In any way possible, we’ll be there for you. Pinagusapan na namin ni Martin (Nievera) how we can be a part of this. Your struggle is also our struggle. Gary Valenciano, Zsa Zsa’s friend and co-star in “I Do Bidoo Bidoo” and “ASAP 2012, said in an interview on TV Patrol on Monday, August 20.

Martin added that the ordeal is not the end, but a “beginning of a whole new life for Zsa Zsa.”

Dolphy’s son, Epy Quizon, believes Zsa Zsa can survive  cancer because “she is a fighter.”

“She was there fighting (the challenges) with my father, fighting with family. And I think she can fight this off,” Epy expalained.

Zsa Zsa’s daughter Karylle said prayers and trust in God can do wonders.

“In a trying time, imposible na kayanin mo siyang mag-isa, kung panghahawakan mo lang ang sarili mong lakas. It comes from God, so, alam kong nagwowork lahat ng prayers ng tao.”

Other celebrities also turned to Twitter to ask for prayers. Kris shared that she admires “Zsa Zsa's courage, strength and faith.” The TV host-actress believes  Zsa Zsa will survive her trial.

“Actually if you recall the pic we posted last Saturday, Aug. 11, we had just come from Mass and prayed together for her checkup. I thank God that her condition was detected early and I know that with all of us praying for her, Zsa Zsa will be at her best health when she gets back to the Philippines in September,” Kris tweeted.

Sharon Cuneta  asked Twitter followers to “pray for Zsa Zsa’s healing.”

Sharon added that she is also going through many things. But she wants to be with Zsa Zsa personally to encourage her.

“There is just so much going on now that I wish I could fly out and be with Zsa tonight, and then just leave. If I could quit all kinds of work now and be alone, I would not even give it a second thought. So tired. I feel like I've been taking such a beating in all in all areas of my life, and I haven't done anything to deserve it. Neither have, and do my friends & immediate family. Pls pray,” Sharon tweeted.

No comments:

Post a Comment