Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Jessica Sanchez wants Pinoy music on US radio

Amid questions about her Filipino identity, “American Idol” runner-up Jessica Sanchez reiterated that she is proud of her Philippine heritage and that will do her best to get radio stations in the US to recognize more Pinoy performers.

Speaking in a press conference on her newest endorsement on Tuesday, Sanchez said she is working hard on her debut album so she can put her music on the radio in the United States.

“I’m glad I can put us Filipinos on the map. In the States, I’m really pushing to put my music on the radio so Filipinos aren’t just, like they won’t look at us as a complete minority, that we can’t make it on the radio stuff. So I’m pushing for us to represent ourselves in the States,” she said.

While she was born and raised in the U.S., Sanchez said she grew up knowing things about Filipino culture because of her mom and grandmother.

“I feel like I always have a big part of me Filipino-wise because my grandma taught me a lot of stuff from the Philippines. But actually being here, it’s helping me learn a lot more. I see myself as an artist that is learning more about the culture at the moment,” she said.

And even though she loves living in the U.S., Sanchez said she really can’t resist the “connection” that she has with Philippines.

For one, Sanchez noted how much she loves Filipino food.

“Here, it’s just a different feel. The food is different. I can’t eat hamburgers everyday. But I can eat lumpia and pansit every single day of my life, also rice and sinigang. I love Filipino food,” she said.

Sanchez also noted the difference between her fans in the US and in the Philippines.

“All the fans here are like crazy-supportive. Everybody back in States is supportive but everybody here is like major-supportive. They have your back here, I love it,” she said.

She may have not left the country yet but because of the warm welcome she’s getting in the country, Sanchez said she will definitely come back.

“I’m definitely excited to come back. I will come back hopefully next year,” she said.

Sanchez, who arrived in the country last Wednesday, will be staying in the Philippines for 2 more days.

Once she returns to Los Angeles, the 17-year-old singer will continue working on her album, which is set to be released in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment